Welcome to The District, Columbia, Missouri's vital and exciting downtown—the perfect place to locate your business. A combination of factors make this the shopping, dining and entertainment center of the Mid-Missouri region and the best location in the state for starting a business.
- Over one million square feet of commercial space and nearly 900,000 square feet of office space.
- More than 14,000 employees shop, dine and work in The District on a daily basis.
- 34,000 students and nearly 13,000 faculty and staff within walking distance of our shops, restaurants and theaters.
- Vibrant retail and restaurant scene with 110 unique shops and over 70 bars and restaurants.
- Thriving arts district with galleries, artist studios, museums and performance venues.
- Growing center for creative companies in the fields of media, entertainment, advertising, architecture and film.
- Highly talented workforce with nearly 41% of those age 25 and older holding a college degree and 8% holding an advanced degree.
- Over 5900 parking spaces, 8400 student parking spaces, four city garages and free parking on nights and Sundays. A fifth garage is being constructed.
- Ranked #1 best place in Missouri to open a business or restaurant in 2010. Ranked #8 in the nation for business and careers.
There's an app for that! Now you can check out our vacancy listings right from your iPhone.
Wait, I have an Android!
Starting your own business in The District is easier than you think. Download our new business brochure and get started.
The Small Business & Technology Development Center is now located in The District! Take a look at their new training sessions on topics ranging from start ups to financing to marketing.
Downtown Business Incubator. Looking for space and support for your burgeoning business? Check out what the Downtown Incubator can offer you.
I wish this was... We crowdsourced a vacanct building on Broadway. Check out what types of busineses people would like to see.
Overview of market demand. Retail, office and residential demand.
Retail/Restaurant Survey Report. Find out what types of businesses District customers want.
Best Place for Start Ups.
Columbia Ranked #1 by Business Week.
Best Place in Missouri to Open a Restaurant in 2010.
Columbia Ranked #46 in Entire Nation.
Best Small Place For Business And Careers for 2010.
Columbia ranked #8 in country, #1 in state.
Columbia Ranked #9 in Nation.
2009 report names Columbia as one of the top college towns.
Columbia Named to Best Towns of 2008 List.
Outside Magazine ranks Columbia 10th in nation.
Best Place in Missouri to Start a Business
Columbia 14th in nation; 5th among cities of 250,000 or less.
Columbia named Most Creative Community.
Columbia first in the state to receive honor.
Ranked by Forbes as One of the Smartest Cities.
Columbia is 11th in nation.
6th Best in Nation for College Educated Workers.
Creative workers key for knowledge-based companies.
Country Homes Top Green Cities.
Columbia ranked 7th for green lifestyles and quality of life.